Thursday, June 23, 2011

When the family's away, Meg will play...

...in the kitchen, that is. 


Last summer, I worked right near this great Venezuelan restaurant that also happen's to be a family favorite. On my second day of work, I went to lunch with my bosses and two other interns. We got the plantains. A few weeks later, I went with another group of interns...and got the plantains. Right before I left for the summer, one of the editors took me to lunch...and, again, we got the plantains. Needless to say, I was plantain-ed out by the end of the summer, and never wanted to see another fried plantain as long as I lived. So imagine my surprise when, while home alone last weekend, I got the strongest craving for Pedro's plantains. It was 10:15 at night...


...so I improvised. After hunting around online, I decided to adapt this recipe for caramelized bananas to my taste (and kitchen!): 


What you'll need:

  • Bananas (as many as you'll eat)
  • 1 ounce of virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon of real vanilla extract
  • Salt to taste
  • Non-stick frying pan
  • Spatula


  1. First, peel and quarter the bananas
  2. Heat the oil over medium heat in the frying pan
  3. Sprinkle the bananas with brown sugar and fry on one side for 2-3 minutes. Before flipping bananas, add the vanilla extract and cover with brown sugar.
  4. Flip bananas over, and fry on the other side for 2-3 minutes.

My bananas were a little soggy, and a bit too sugar-y, so after hunting around online, I found a solution. I flattened them using a plate and paper towels, salted them, and put them back into the frying pan with a bit of oil, which made them much better.

Would I make them again?
Definitely, but with some changes. The bananas themselves are sweet enough, so next time, I'd use about half as much sugar. I also prefer mine a little crisper and with a bit of salt, so after frying them, I'll try baking them, sprinkled with salt (almost like french fries).

No comments:

Post a Comment